The following resources are available to share our research results, along with basic information on soil health that is related to the use of soil balancing.
About Soil Balancing
- Printable Primer on Soil Balancing and its Application
- Soil Balancing Call-in Conversations
Researchers, educators, and farmers come together to talk about soil balancing. Series of three programs recorded in the fall of 2018.
- Soil Balancing: Worth Another Look
Long article about our project posted on Acres' EcoFarm Daily news site.
Research Results (non-Academic)
- News article with Recommendations and Results
- Brief Two-Page Handout Summary of Project Results
- Five-Year Study Results article from VegNet, May 2019.
- Farmer and Practitioner Conceptions and Experiences with Soil Balancing
White paper summarizing results of surveys and interviews with soil balancing users.
- Elephant in the Room: Why do so many farmers practice soil balancing despite the lack of scientific evidence?
Presentation by Doug Jackson Smith and Caroline Brock
- Can weeds be managed with calcium amendments?
Presentation by Doug Doohan
- Into the Weeds with Soil Balancing
Article investigating relationship between weeds and soil balancing, posted on Acres' EcoFarm Daily news site.
- The effects of manipulating Ca:Mg ratios on Ohio crop yields and soil health
Presentation by Steve Culman
- Return On Investment With Using Gypsum
Dr. Subbu Kumarappan, OSU Associate Professor, ATI
Soil Health 101
- Calculating Soil Cation Exchange Capacity
12-minute video with Steve Culman, Ohio State soil specialist
- More soil health resources at soilhealth.osu.edu
Research Results - Published Academic Articles
Sprunger, C. D.,Culman, S. W., Deiss, L., Brock, C., & Jackson-Smith, D. (2021) Which management practices influence soil health in Midwest organic corn systems? Agronomy Journal
Brock, C., Jackson-Smith, D., Culman, S., Doohan, D., & Herms, C. (2021). Soil balancing within organic farming: Negotiating meanings and boundaries in an alternative agricultural community of practice. Agriculture and Human Values, 38, 449–465.
Culman SW, Brock C, Doohan D, Jackson-Smith D, Herms C, Chaganti VN, Kleinhenz M, Sprunger CD, Spargo J. Base cation saturation ratios vs. sufficiency level of nutrients: A false dichotomy in practice. Agronomy Journal, 2021; 1−11.
Brock, C., Jackson-Smith, D., Kumarappan, S., Culman, S., Doohan, D., & Herms, C. (2021). The prevalence and practice of soil balancing among organic corn farmers. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, 1–10.
Chaganti, V. N.,Culman, S. W., Herms, C., Sprunger, C. D., Brock, C., Leiva Soto, A., & Doohan, D. (2021) Base cation saturation ratios, soil health, and yield in organic field crops. Agronomy Journal (in review)
Chaganti, V. N., Culman, S. W., Dick, W. A., & Kost, D. (2019). Effects of gypsum application rate and frequency on corn response to nitrogen. Agronomy Journal, 111(3), 1109–1117.
Leiva Soto, A. (2018). Effects of soil balancing treatments on soils, vegetable crops and weeds in organically managed farms (thesis, Master Thesis, Ohio State University).
Chaganti, V., & Culman, S. (2017). Historical perspective of soil balancing theory and identifying knowledge gaps: A review. Crop, Forage & Turfgrass Management, 3(1), 1–7.
All work is funded by the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture's Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative, grant no. 2014-51300-22331 / project accession no. 1003905.