The following resources are available to share our research results, along with basic information on soil health that is related to the use of soil balancing.
About Soil Balancing
- Printable Primer on Soil Balancing and its Application
- Soil Balancing Call-in Conversations
Researchers, educators, and farmers come together to talk about soil balancing. Series of three programs recorded in the fall of 2018.
- Soil Balancing: Worth Another Look
Long article about our project posted on Acres' EcoFarm Daily news site.
- News article with Recommendations and Results
- Brief Two-Page Handout Summary of Project Results
- Five-Year Study Results article from VegNet, May 2019.
- Farmer and Practitioner Conceptions and Experiences with Soil Balancing
White paper summarizing results of surveys and interviews with soil balancing practioners.
- Elephant in the Room: Why do so many farmers practice soil balancing despite the lack of scientific evidence?
Presentation by Doug Jackson Smith and Caroline Brock
- Can weeds be managed with calcium amendments?
Presentation by Doug Doohan
- Into the Weeds with Soil Balancing
Article investigating relationship between weeds and soil balancing, posted on Acres' EcoFarm Daily news site.
- The effects of manipulating Ca:Mg ratios on Ohio crop yields and soil health
Presentation by Steve Culman
- Return On Investment With Using Gypsum
Dr. Subbu Kumarappan, OSU Associate Professor, ATI
Soil Health 101
- Calculating Soil Cation Exchange Capacity
12-minute video with Steve Culman, Ohio State soil specialist
- Coming Soon: Managing Soil Organic Matter
All work is funded by the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture's Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative, grant no. 2014-51300-22331 / project accession no. 1003905.