On January 4-5, 2023, the Ohio Organic Grains Conference will be held in Archbold, Ohio. This new event is geographically positioned in the tri-state region (Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan) and is intended for current, transitioning and new-to organic grain farmers, crop consultants, agency personnel, input suppliers, and grain buyers. The event venue will be at Founders Hall at Sauder Village campus. Keynote speakers for the event will be Dr. Joel Gruver, Western Illinois University, and Léa Vereecke, Rodale Institute, who will present both days along with selected organic farmers, crop consultants, and university personnel.
The event will begin on Wednesday, January 4th at 1 pm with sessions focused on the existing/advanced organic grain grower that include the following topics and speakers:
- OSU Organic Corn and Sunflower Trials – Dr. Osler Ortez, OSU Extension
- No-till Organic Soybeans – Léa Vereecke, Rodale Institute
- Why Canola, Sunflowers, and Alfalfa are in my Rotation– Steve Turnow, farmer
- Soil Health in Organic Grains – Dr. Joel Gruver, Western Illinois University
- Grower Panel: Future of Organic Grains - Dave Shively, Angela Schriver, Lou Kozma, Jim Jacobs
On Thursday, January 5th from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm sessions will be focused specifically on new and transitioning farmers and will include these topics and speakers:
- The Power of Soil Biology – Danielle Kusner, Certified Crop Advisor (CCA)
- Integrating Steel & Ecology for Better Weed Mgmt. – Dr. Joel Gruver, Western Illinois University
- Importance of Crop Rotation – Léa Vereecke, Rodale Institute
- Lunch with Grower Roundtable
- Organic Transition Process – Julia Barton, OEFFA
- Grower Panel: Getting N to Your Organic Grains- Levi Haselman, Scott Myers, Jon Findlay
- Grain Buyer Panel: Marketing Options for Organic Grains – Cargill, Perdue Ag, Kalmbach Feeds
- A Review of the 2023 Organic Corn & Soybean Enterprise Budgets – Eric Richer, OSU Extension
While each day is specific to advanced or transitioning farmers, respectively, it is strongly encouraged to attend both days of the conference. The event will have numerous exhibitor-sponsors as well as networking time built into the schedule. If you are interested in being a conference sponsor, visit www.go.osu.edu/organicgrains for sponsorship forms.
Early Bird registration is $90 for both days ($60 for a single day) and due by December 9th, 2022. After December 9th, registration increases to $120 for both days ($80 for a single day). Student (high school and college) Early Bird rates are $65 for both days ($40 for a single day). After December 9th, student rate increases to $90 for both days ($65 for a single day). Registration is online only at www.go.osu.edu/organicgrainsreg. Registration is open to anyone. There will be no virtual option available for the conference. Registration to the conference includes dinner on the first day and lunch on the second day as well as all conference materials.
For those staying overnight, Sauder Heritage Inn is the conference hotel. Rooms are available until December 9th, 2022. Hotel stay includes a hot breakfast. Book directly by calling (800) 590-9755.