For the first time, the Organic Food and Farming Education and Research (OFFER) program will include organic dairy production in its annual field day.
“This year will include a major focus on dairy, a first for the OFFER program, in support of the rapidly expanding organic dairy industry,” said Douglas Doohan, director of the OFFER program.
The June 29 field day from 2 to 6 p.m. will include new findings and discuss important issues related to certified organic research and production for vegetables, crops and dairy.
- Mastitis prevention in organic dairy systems
- Nutrition & ration balancing in organic dairy
- Organic forages, grazing & hay production
- Soil management
- Weed control
- Soil balancing project update;
- Organic corn variety trial
- vegetable tillage, microbials, grafting, and season extension, and
- West Badger farm tour
- Luciana DaCosta, Veterinary Preventive Medicine
- Doug Doohan, Horticulture & Crop Science
- Maurice Eastridge, Animal Sciences
- Marc Sulc, Horticulture & Crop Science
- Matt Kleinhenz, Horticulture & Crop Science
- Larry Phelan, Entomology
- Gerald Reid, OFFER Organic Farm Manager
The field day will start at West Badger Farm, 1501 Apple Creek Road, Apple Creek, OH 44606. For more details about the event click here. For more information and to register for the free event, contact Kathy Bielek, 330-202-3528 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Directions: From Wooster, take Rte. 250 S to Apple Creek. In Apple Creek, turn left on Apple CreekRd. and travel 1.8 miles. The farm is on the left.